Best Oakland Tattoo shops: BELL & IRON TATTOO, Oakland CA is the best Oakland tattoo shop, with the best Oakland tattoo artists. We offer the greatest tattoo artwork, tattoo cover-ups, and custom tattoo artwork at cheap prices. WORLD FAMOUS TATTOO SHOP!
How old do you have to be to get tattooed?
You must be 18 years of age in the state of California, no exceptions.
What are your shop hours?
We are open EVERYDAY, 12noon-7pm.
Do you accept walk-ins?
We accept both appointments and walk-ins. Please call the shop for walk-in availability.
Do you do cover-ups?
Yes, we recommend stopping by to discuss your options in person.
Do you offer free consultations?
Yes, please see the next item on how to schedule an appointment.
How do I make an appointment/free consultation?
You may either call, email, or stop by the shop to make an appointment. If calling or emailing, please provide:
• your name
• phone number
• brief description of desired tattoo
• name of artist you'd like to work with (if you have no particular artist in mind, no problem, we can help pair you with an artist)
*See our contact page for contact info
Are you available this week, or are you booked-out forever?
Availability depends on the artist and the date you wish to be tattooed -- weekdays are typically easier to book than weekends -- but we always have pockets of time in our schedules, and can typically accommodate you quickly.
What are your shop rates?
We have a $100 minimum that covers up to about 1/2 hour of tattooing, and the shop rate is 200/hr.
Do you accept credit cards?
Yes, we accept all credit/debit cards and cash.
What is your appointment policy?
We require a $100 non-refundable deposit. This deposit is not an extra charge -- it is applied to the cost of your tattoo. Please note that larger work may require a larger deposit amount.
What is your deposit policy?
• Deposits are required for all scheduled sessions.
• Deposits are non-refundable, NO EXCEPTIONS.
• The deposit holds your appointment time and will be subtracted from the cost of your tattoo session.
• If your tattoo requires multiple sessions, the deposit will be credited on your last tattoo session.
• By providing a deposit, you agree to forfeit your deposit if you either:
– cancel your tattoo appointment.
– try to reschedule less than 7 days from your appointment.
– miss your appointment.
• Please note your deposit can expire! If you do not return to the shop to finish your multiple session tattoo for more than 2 months between appointments (unless your artist makes special arrangements for you), YOUR DEPOSIT WILL BE FORFEITED, and you will need to leave another deposit to schedule additional sessions.
How should I prepare for my tattoo appointment?
• Be sure to eat something prior to your appointment.
• Wear comfortable clothing that you are not worried about possibly getting ink on.
• Do not come to your appointment completely shit-faced... we will turn you away and you will lose your deposit, and your dignity!
Can I bring friends to my appointment?
Yes! But please keep in mind we are a small shop :)
How do I take care of my new tattoo?
1. After your tattoo procedure is complete, you will be bandaged. Bandages should be kept in place for varying amounts of time, based on the size and location of your tattoo. Based on your tattoo, your bandage should be kept on for 2 to several hours -- your tattoo artist will advise you as to the best amount of time for your tattoo. We will also provide you a care-kit with written instructions and ointment.
2. Carefully remove your bandage, and wash your tattoo with warm water and anti-bacterial liquid soap. Blot dry with a clean paper towel, and, with a clean hand, apply ointment to the tattooed area. DO NOT coat the tattoo with ointment. Apply the ointment as if rubbing in a hand lotion or sun-tan lotion. You will not re-bandage the tattoo after removing the initial bandage.
3. Your magic number for your tattoo healing is "2" : clean your tattoo 2 times a day (once in the morning, and once before bed) for 2 weeks. Apply the ointment provided after each cleaning for the first 2 days. If you feel your tattoo is drying out too much, apply ointment more than 2 times a day; if your tattoo is not drying out, use less ointment. After 2 days, you may switch to a fragrance free hand lotion in place of the provided ointment to moisturize the tattoo.
4. For the first 2 weeks: DO NOT soak the tattoo by swimming, surfing, tubbing, etc. You may wet the tattoo to clean it, such as in a shower, but avoid soaking the tattoo for long periods of time, as this may negatively affect the healing process. Always wear clean clothing over top of your tattoo. Avoid immediate contact with gardening soil, pets and pet fur/hair, and any other soiled materials that may introduce bacteria into your tattoo.
5. If you accidentally soil the tattoo, or sweat due to physical activity, be sure to immediately clean the tattoo, and change into clean clothing.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING YOUR HEALING PROCESS:
Tattoos generally heal similar to a bad sunburn: in the initial first few days, the skin will be hot to the touch, slightly raised, and sore.
After a few days, your tattoo will begin to peel. You will see little bits of skin flake off as you clean your tattoo — this is normal. If you encounter any larger areas of skin that are scab-like, DO NOT pick, peel or scratch them off. Let your skin heal on its own.
Within the first week of healing, your tattoo will begin to itch. DO NOT scratch your tattoo; you may “slap” your tattoo to get rid of the itchy sensation.
Your tattoo will also possibly look fuzzy, flaky, and raised during your healing process. After two weeks, this should go away, and your tattoo will be smooth to the touch: it will have a shine to the tattooed skin, but will be healed enough to enjoy all normal physical activities again.
It may take a few additional weeks for your skin to lose the shine and return to normal. If you experience any persistent redness around your tattoo that does not go away after the first 5 days, stop using your lotion, and immediately contact your tattoo artist.